Friday 28 June 2013

#82 LA Confidential

1997
Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce
Kevin Spacey

I'm pretty sure before I watched this someone told me I would hate it, well low and behold.... I really enjoyed it. Its all about 1950's LA and the corruption that goes on inside the police department.

The photos I have added are in black and white but the movie is in colour don't worry. Guy Pearce's character Ed Exley is a straight down the line cop, works to the letter of the law and is getting ahead by doing so in his career, unlike almost all of the other cops on the force who resent Ed for what he is doing, especially after he sells out one of the forces own. The total apposite to Ed is Russell Crowes character Bud White. Bent as a ten bob note much like the rest of the force he has forged his career on braking the rules, covering his tracks and making personal gains.

Thirdly we have Jack Vincennes ( Kevin Spacey) another old school cop who uses the law to his own advantage, and is hell bent on ruining Exley's clean cut image, this is until certain events cause this trio to team up and try and discover what murky past has caused the force to become so corrupt.


The only problem with this movie is....

James Cromwell


His acting is brilliant, im not taking anything away from that, its his god awful accent. F**k me, I couldn't stand to listen to him. I think he was trying to do an Irish/american accent, and his catch phrase of "boyo" infuriated me further.


The scores

Visual
7/10 you know what, this had some pretty good wound injuries and shot impact things (not sure how to explain this) the costumes cars etc were good.

Sound
4/10 Nothing interesting, I really don't like old 40's/50's music. I know they cant use modern music for a 50's film but still, I just don't like it.


Acting
8/10 Top draw, enough said


Plot
8/10 I personally really like stories or corruption and this was really well written and portrayed.

Ending

8/10 Best Part, I love it when a good story has an equally good ending.

Final Score
35/50

A really good watch this one. Settle in for a Sunday afternoon movie and see the hours fly by watching this classic.

Total Movie Minutes So Far ~ 2361



Next Up, Full Metal Jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment